The Mayor is a serving councillor elected to the office for one year by fellow council members at the Annual Council Meeting in May each year.
The Mayor’s responsibilities are:
- chairing full council meetings - the role of Mayor is not political and the Mayor has no formal power on decision making except to chair council meetings
- making sure the council's constitution is followed
- organising and hosting a number of civic events
- representing the borough at ceremonial occasions
- supporting local schools, organisations and businesses by attending a wide range of events