Travel and transport
Travel and transport is a key area of work related to climate change.
Below are some highlights of our work in this area.
Visit the Public Protection Partnership website for information on air quality in Bracknell Forest.
We support the shift towards cleaner-emission vehicles as part of the wider aim to tackle the causes of climate change.
To find out more, read our electric vehicles page.
In 2014, we supported the introduction of Personal Travel Planning for businesses and targeted residential areas, using funding from central government. This was part of the Local Sustainable Transport policy.
Walking, cycling and the use of public transport has continued to be promoted in marketing campaigns. This has resulted in annual bus travel increasing by 13% between April 2017 to April 2018.
Between May 2018 and May 2019 there was a:
- 2% increase in the number of people walking
- 13% increase in bike journeys
Improvements to A322 / A329 corridor
Improvements to A322 / A329 corridor to provide a better managed traffic flows resulting in reduced vehicle queues and improved air quality.
These works included:
- Coppid Beech Roundabout - full signalisation and additional circulatory lanes
- Jennett’s Park Roundabout - partial signalisation
- Twin Bridges Gyratory - full signalisation of the northern section of the roundabout and further capacity improvements
- Horse and Groom Roundabout - extended dualling of the Downshire Way
- Sports Centre Roundabout - additional circulatory lanes
- Hilton Roundabout - traffic signal optimisation with adjacent corridor improvements
- Coral Reef Roundabout - replacement of the existing roundabout with a fully signalised crossroads
Local Sustainable Transport Funding
We secured Local Sustainable Transport Funding of £1.6 million. This delivered several outcomes including:
- working with local employers to reduce the congestion and emissions caused by single occupancy car commuting
- working with schools to encourage more cycling
- working with targeted residential areas to encourage more sustainable travel modes
- renovating Bracknell bus station
- providing real time journey information to allow more informed travel choices
- improving our ability to manage the major traffic junctions in the borough so they operated more effectively