Council Tax Energy Rebate

The government has announced a package of support known as the Energy Bills Rebate to help households with rising energy bills in 2022 to 2023.

This includes a £150 non-repayable rebate for households in England in council tax bands A to D, known as the Council Tax Energy Rebate.

Find out more about the Council Tax Energy Rebate on GOV.UK

If you pay your council tax by direct debit and you are in band A to D

We have completed payments to almost 25,000 households in bands A to D whose April council tax instalment was paid by direct debit.

Please note that this does not include households who pay by standing order or debit card.  We do not hold bank details for such accounts so you will need to apply using our online form below.

If you paid your council tax by direct debit in April but have not yet received the £150 payment, please email

If you don't pay your council tax by direct debit and you are in band A to D

If you are in band A to D and you don't pay your council tax by direct debit, you must fill in our online form to give us your bank details. This includes customers who pay by standing order or by debit card as we do not hold details for these accounts.

Give your details for the Council Tax Energy Rebate

If you filled in this form before Thursday 19 May you should expect a payment from us between Monday 23 May to Friday 10 June. 

We expect to pay any further applications within 15 working days of receipt, provided the information matches our records.

Please don't contact us to ask about your payment before Friday 10 June or within 15 working days of submitting your application, as this will slow down the payment process.

Who is eligible

This rebate will only apply to a household that occupies a property which meets all of the following criteria on 1 April 2022.

1. Valued in band A to D

The property must be valued in council tax bands A to D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme. Retrospective amendments to the band will not be included.

2. Your main residence

The property must be your sole or main residence.

3. Householder

The person who is liable to pay the council tax (or would be, if the property was not exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

Who is not eligible

The following properties are not eligible:

  • properties in bands E or higher
  • properties which have no permanent resident
  • empty or unoccupied properties
  • second homes

Contact information

Revenue services