To work as part of a team sorting and counting ballot papers quickly but accurately, whilst under pressure and under observation of candidates and agents.
Duties and responsibilities on count day
- work in a team as chosen by the Returning Officer, Elections Team and Count Supervisor
- bring in ballot boxes and sort Presiding Officer equipment if required
- verify and count the number of ballot papers in a ballot box and recount if required
- alert the Count Supervisor of any doubtful ballot papers as instructed
- tidy up and make good the count table and count venue
- avoid making conversation with candidates, agents and guests
- always keep the secrecy of the ballot
- stay politically neutral
- carry out any other Count Assistant duties as required
As well as the duties listed, you may be asked to take on other tasks appropriate with your pay level.
- have good communication skills and the ability to follow instructions
- have good administration skills and attention to detail
- be a team player and have a flexible attitude
- be punctual, reliable and calm under pressure
Previous experience as a Count Assistant is desirable.