Skip to main content

Help with the cost of getting a privately let home

You need to save to cover the up front costs of getting a privately rented home. However, if you need a home before you have saved enough the council may be able to help.

There are some circumstances where the council may be able to loan you the rent and deposit for accommodation in advance. You may qualify if the following is true:

  • you have been a resident in the borough for at least 6 months and are able to provide proof of this
  • you are homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • you are unable to meet the cost of a deposit and/or rent in advance as you have no savings
  • you are able to prove you can repay the loan

You will still need to pay the other fees.

Contact Information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry