Am I eligible?
You may be able to get a Blue Badge if you fall into one of the following categories:
Type 1: ‘eligible without further assessment’
You may be issued with a badge without further assessment if you (or the person you are applying for) are more than 2 years old, and fall within one or more of the following descriptions, where you:
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- score 8 points or more under the moving around descriptor for personal independence payment (PIP)
- are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- receives the mobility component of PIP and has obtained 10 points for Descriptor E under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the grounds that they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress
You will be asked to provide proof of the above on application.
Type 2: ‘eligible subject to further assessment’
You may qualify for a blue badge, subject to further assessment, if you (or the person you are applying for) are more than 2 years old, and fall within one or more of the following descriptions, where you:
- drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking because of a permanent and substantial disability
- experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking – which may include very considerable psychological distress, or be at risk of serious harm when walking, or pose a risk of serious harm to any other person when walking
You may be asked to provide medical evidence to support your application.
Children under 3
Children under the age of 3 may qualify for a Blue Badge if they:
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty
- must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be so treated
You may be asked to provide medical evidence on behalf of your child to support the application.