Am I eligible for support?
Adult carers eligibility
After the assessment, the council will decide if your needs are eligible for support.
In general, this means:
- your needs arise from providing necessary care for an adult
because of these needs you cannot achieve specified outcomes such as:
- being able to continue being a parent for a child
- maintaining family and personal relationship
- engaging in recreational activities
- as a result of this there is likely to be a significant impact on your wellbeing
Parents caring for disabled children, or young carers who are under 18
If you are a young carer, or if you are a parent caring for a disabled child, you have similar rights to assessment and support but they are covered by the Children and Families Act, not the Care Act.
If you or the person you are caring for is about to reach 18, you will be given an assessment which will confirm whether you or they are likely to continue to be eligible for support as an adult.