Housing advice privacy notice
1. Name of the Data Controller
Bracknell Forest Council
Time Square, Market Street, Bracknell, RG12 1JD
2. Contact for Data Protection Officer
Data Protection Officer
Bracknell Forest Council
Phone: 01344 352000
3. Purpose and lawful bases for the personal data that you process
Your personal data will be used to process your application for housing services such as housing advice or MyChoice under:
(1) 'Legal obligation' stated in, for example, the Homeless Reduction Act 2017, Homelessness Act 2002 for providing homeless advice and prevention, Housing Act 1996, Localism Act 2011 for providing housing advice, and housing register.
(2)‘Performance of a contract’ when providing a service with an external provider such as a supported service.
4. Basis of processing for special categories of data
Special categories data is being processed for Article 9(2):
(a) the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes, except where Union or Member State law provide that the prohibition referred to in paragraph 1 may not be lifted by the data subject
(c) processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent
(f) processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity
5. Recipients of the personal data that you collect and process
We will need to share you personal data with 3rd parties to deliver our services. Third parties include:
- Registered providers - a list can be found on the website
- Impartial medical advisory service for assessing applications on medical grounds
- Specified public bodies as described by the Secretary of State
This is not an exhaustive list. You can ask us for more information on the 3rd party service providers.
We will not sell your personal data to any party.
6. International transfers and if applicable any safeguards in place
Your personal data may be stored securely in a cloud based system within the European Union. The council will seek to make sure that an adequate standard of security is obtained if personal data is stored on a system outside the European Union.
7. Retention periods for the data and the criteria for setting that period (for example as set in legislation)
The retention period is set in legislation or as required for the service that is being provided. Your data will not be kept for longer than is necessary.
8. Individual rights
The GDPR provides the following rights for individuals:
- The right to be informed.
- The right of access.
- The right to rectification.
- The right to erasure.
- The right to restrict processing.
- The right to data portability.
- The right to object.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
9. Right to withdraw consent
If we ask you for your consent when providing our service you have the right to withdraw consent.
10. Right to complain to the ICO
If you are not satisfied with the way that Bracknell Forest Council is holding your data, you can contact the Information Commissioner:
Information Commissioner's Office
Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
Fax: 01625 524 510
You can view directions to the Information Commissioner's head office.
11. Existence of profiling and/or automated decision making
This service collates personal data through profiling as required for statistical analysis so that the service can be monitored or in response to FOI requests.
Please contact the council’s Housing Advice Services for more information.