Skip to main content

If you find yourself homeless

The council has a legal duty to help individuals and families who are homeless or are about to lose their home and meet the qualifying criteria. If you are homeless, you should make an appointment to meet with a Welfare and Housing Caseworker.

When you meet with your caseworker, they will take into account a number of issues, including whether you are eligible for assistance, the legal definition of 'homelessness', if you are in 'priority need', whether you may be 'intentionally homeless' and if you have a 'local connection'.

When you attend your appointment with your caseworker, you should bring any important papers with you, such as a court eviction order or notice from your landlord. We will also need to see some form of identification, for example, birth certificate, passport, or driving licence, for each member of your household.

Contact Information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry