Skip to main content

Who can get help

The council’s duties to homeless households are determined by the 1996 Housing Act. This law says that we must provide accommodation for you if you meet the following conditions:

  1. You are homeless - we can only help you if you have no home, are about to lose your home or your safety is at risk if you stay in your present home
  2. You are eligible - if you are not a UK citizen or you have lived abroad you may not qualify for accommodation
  3. You are in priority need - we can only help you if:
    • you are vulnerable because of your age, mental illness, disability or are fleeing domestic violence or
    • you have dependent children in full time education or
    • you are pregnant or
    • you are homeless following an emergency such a fire or flood

We will also assess if you have made yourself intentionally homeless. However, if you were evicted from your home because of a breach of tenancy (deliberately not paying the rent, causing a nuisance or damaging your property) or you left home voluntarily it is unlikely that we will be able to help you.

We will also assess if you have a good reason for being in Bracknell Forest. You must have a connection with Bracknell Forest or need to be in Bracknell Forest for special reasons.

The council is only required to help homeless households who meet these legal criteria. If, after we have investigated your application, we find you do not meet the legal criteria we will offer you advice and assistance on your other housing options, and may be able to provide you with financial assistance to secure private rented accommodation.

While we carry out our investigation into your homeless application we may provide emergency temporary accommodation. This is likely to be shared bed and breakfast type accommodation.

If after we have investigated your homelessness we decide that we should provide you a home we will provide you a temporary home while you wait for a final offer of your long term home or we may help you secure a home in the private rented sector that meets your needs.

Contact Information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry