Skip to main content

Altering your watercourse

You may need consent for any measure or feature that alters the normal behaviour or flow of a watercourse.

Please note that we try to avoid culverting, and our consent for such works will not normally be granted except as a means of access.

View our diagrams showing cross sections of activities to find out if you need to apply for consent.

Who do I need to apply to for consent?

If your watercourse is part of a main river then you will need to apply for consent to the Environment Agency.

If your watercourse is not part of a main river, then you will need to apply to us for consent using the ordinary watercourse consent form.

How much does it cost to get consent?

There is a charge of £50 for each structure associated with the application. Please contact us before you send in the application to check how much consent will cost.

How long does it take to get consent?

We will let you know within 2 months whether we are giving consent.

Can consent be refused?

We may refuse an application if we think that the watercourse’s flow will be obstructed or if we have insufficient information to make a decision. We advise you to ensure that you provide sufficient detail. If you are unclear, please contact us before you send in the application.

If you haven’t sought consent prior to undertaking works then we reserve the right to request that remedial action be taken to reinstate the watercourse to its previous condition.

How can I find out if there is an asset on my property?

Please contact Customer Services on 01344 352000 to arrange to view the asset register. Examples of assets are ditches, pipes and culverts.

Contact Information

Customer services

Make an enquiry