Berkshire businesses have been asked to develop Internet of Things (IoT) solutions to tackle real challenges faced by local authorities in the delivery of their services.
The £500,000 challenge is part of the Thames Valley Berkshire Smart City Cluster project. The project is led by Reading Borough Council, with partner authorities: Wokingham, West Berkshire and Bracknell Forest. The two-year project, which is funded by the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership, is delivering state of the art IoT communications across the region.
This call includes 5 challenges, focused on:
- development of the IoT (Reading Borough Council)
- developing a centre for community arts and culture (Wokingham Borough Council)
- tackling climate change (Reading Borough Council)
- tackling climate change through schools (Bracknell Forest Council)
- using chatbots and AI to improve council highways and waste and recycling services (West Berkshire Council)
Grants of up to £100,000 are available for each challenge. Each challenge will include a development and pilot phase so that the benefits can be evaluated and knowledge can be shared as these are common challenges faced by councils across the UK.