This October the UK celebrates Black History Month. The main aims of Black History Month are to celebrate the achievements and contributions of black people not just in the UK, but throughout the world and also to educate all on black history.
During October there are many events to celebrate Black History Month. Across the country special classes and celebrations are arranged within schools and African and Carribean societies at universities put on special events and lectures. Museums and art galleries have special themed exhibits, and there are also many special themed shows about Black History Month on the TV and Radio.
The following books (and more) are available within our libraries:
- A Year of Nature Poems by Joseph Coelho
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Homecoming: Voices of the Windrush Generation by Colin Grant
- Black and British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga
More information on Black History Month can be found on the Black History Month website.