Skip to main content


This is when the foundations of built structures are damaged by changes in specific types of clay soil that shrink when moisture within the soil is reduced.

If you believe that your property is experiencing structural damage because of a tree, it is important that in the first instance you contact your home insurance provider. They will look into your concerns and may want to investigate the damage as part of a claim.

If your insurance provider believes that your neighbour's trees (including council trees) are implicated in the damage, they will contact the respective tree owner on your behalf.