Skip to main content

Apply for a Section 50 licence

A Section 50 street works licence application is required when a person or organisation wishes to excavate or break through the existing adopted highway to work on, or install new apparatus.

Everyone excavating or working on the highway must have the relevant accreditation to do so.

The cost of the licence will be dependent on the length of your works. You will be able to pay online at the end of the form.

You will need to give us:

  • full and accurate description of the exact location
  • full and accurate description of the works
  • estimated length and depth of excavation in metres
  • start and end date for works
  • form of traffic control you intend to use
  • public liability insurance (minimum £5 million) which must be valid for the duration of the works
  • traffic management plan
  • accreditation details of the contractor
  • proof of permission to connect (new apparatus only)
  • applicant's details
Start now