Introduction to road occupation consent
Please apply for a road occupation consent if you wish to undertake any of the below:
- signing, lighting and guarding
- deposit building materials, rubbish temporarily on the highway (s171, HA)
- apply for a crane/cherry picker/plant to be placed on the highway (s171, HA)
- placing automatic traffic counters (s171, HA)
- apply for a road closure (s14 RTRA)
- to excavate/open up the public highway (s171, HA)
- lay underground or surface apparatus in the highway
You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent and also with requirements relating to the fencing off and lighting of deposits or excavations.
Code of practice
Please read the traffic management code of practice.