Skip to main content

When do I need a permit?

You need a permit if you are undertaking 'street works' or 'works for road purposes' and the works involve any of the following:

  • breaking up or resurfacing any street
  • opening (lifting covers) in the carriageway or cycleway of traffic‐sensitive streets at traffic‐sensitive times
  • any form of temporary traffic control as defined in the Code of Practice for Safety at Street Works and Road Works
  • reducing the lanes available on a carriageway of 3 or more lanes
  • the works require a temporary traffic regulation order or notice, or the suspension of pedestrian facilities
  • a reduction in the width of the existing carriageway of a traffic‐sensitive street at a traffic‐sensitive time

Contact information

Customer services

Make an enquiry