A322 sports centre roundabout improvements
About the improvements
The council has been successful in securing funds to undertake improvement works to the A322 Bagshot Road roundabout junction with South Hill Road and Nightingale Crescent. This is known as the sports centre roundabout. The work is in partnership with the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.
This project delivers significant improvements to one of the main highway corridors in the Thames Valley Berkshire. It will help with traffic flow and reduce congestion between the M4 (junctions 8, 9 and 10) and M3 junction 3 and between Maidenhead, Reading, Wokingham, Bracknell, Bagshot and beyond.
This junction on the A322 experiences congestion which presents challenges for both northbound and southbound traffic movements, while also acting as a constraint to growth within Bracknell Forest and the wider region.
Once complete, the improvement scheme will contribute towards:
- more reliable journey times
- the ability for local residents to move more easily around the local road network
- reduced congestion which in turn will improve air quality
Other benefits of the scheme will include a new road surface, free from defects, which will reduce noise pollution.
The scheme consists of the following:
- widening of the north and southbound carriageways of the roundabout from 3 to 4 lanes - this will provide extra stacking space for traffic flowing east and west, while reducing the level of blocking for those travelling north and south
- widening of the Nightingale Crescent exit from 1 to 2 lanes to provide extra capacity for traffic heading from the roundabout into the Crown Wood and Hanworth areas - along Opladen Way and Harmans Water Road
- changes to the phasing of traffic signals to improve traffic flow
You can view the scheme design below.
The main construction phase of the scheme is due to start in July 2021 and is due to last 18 to 20 weeks.
There will also be some vegetation and tree removal taking place in March 2021 before the bird nesting season begins. This will take about 4 days.