Evidence required and how decisions are made
Consideration of these requests will include:
- taking account of the parents’ views
- information about the child’s academic, social and emotional development
- whether they have previously been educated out of their normal age group
- where relevant, the child’s medical history and the views of a medical professional
- whether they may naturally have fallen into a lower age group if it were not for being born prematurely
- the views of the headteacher of the school concerned and the child’s current school will also be taken into account
The Principal Educational Psychologist will make a final decision for Bracknell Forest maintained schools.
When informing a parent of the decision on the year group to which the child will be admitted, the parent will be notified of the reasons for the decision.
The parent has a statutory right to appeal against the refusal of a place at a school for which they have applied. This right does not apply if they are offered a place at the school but it is not in their preferred age group.