What governors do
Governors work closely with the headteacher and other members of school staff.
The headteacher is responsible for the day to day running of the school and all operational matters. The school’s governors have a strategic role, but hold the headteacher to account for how they run the school.
School governors have three core strategic functions:
- ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
In practice this involves attending meetings of the full governing body and its committees, asking questions and visiting the school. You may get involved in:
- headteacher performance management and recruitment
- analysis of performance data
- approval of policies
- admissions (not all schools)
- school improvement matters such as the quality of teaching and raising attainment
- ensuring that the needs of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) are met
- the work is voluntary, takes enthusiasm and some of your spare time
- you will learn new skills and know that you are making a real contribution to our local community
- you don’t have to know everything from the start – be prepared to build up your knowledge over a period of time
- you will be expected to attend appropriate free training offered by the Local Authority – usually held in the evenings but some daytime training is offered
- free advice and support is available
What should I do if I am interested in becoming a school governor?
Please read the guidance on who can become a school governor (PDF, 13kb) and if you are still interested please complete the governor registration form to register your interest or contact the governor services team for further information.
Adverts by schools in Bracknell Forest looking for school governors
The following schools are currently looking for school governors:
- Fox Hill Primary co-opted governor vacancy (PDF, 52kb)
- Owlsmoor Primary School co-opted governor vacancy (PDF, 176kb)
- Wildridings notice of vacancy for co-opted governor (PDF, 94kb)
Note: Not all schools list their vacancies here. By filling in the governor registration form, the governor services team will direct your enquiry to schools known to have suitable vacancies. You can also state your preferences.
Already a Bracknell Forest governor?
Additional information and guidance for existing governors and clerks can be found on the school management website.