Other benefits

You may be eligible to claim certain state benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) depending on your individual circumstances.

The type of benefit you may be entitled to will depend on various factors like:

  • whether or not you are working
  • whether you are unable to work due to sickness
  • if you have a disability
  • your age
  • if you have children living with you
  • if you are caring for someone

Such benefits include:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment or Disability living Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

To find out about these benefits or any other benefits that you may be entitled to visit benefits on GOV.UK.

Get urgent financial help

If you need urgent financial help you may be able to claim short term benefit advances or budgeting loans.

Short term benefit advance

Short term benefit advances are paid for certain benefits where there is a clear financial hardship and either of the following:

  • there is a change in circumstances resulting in an increase of benefit and the customer is waiting for the first payday
  • there is a delay in a claim or payment and the claim is not pending the outcome of an appeal

You can apply for a short term benefit advance if you have recently applied for:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension

Apply for a short term benefit advance on GOV.UK

Budgeting loans

Budgeting loans may be available for eligible benefit claimants.

For more information about budgeting loans, visit budgeting loans on GOV.UK.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry