Skip to main content

Becoming an adult

Two people looking at a piece of paper

This guide tells you about what help there is as you become an adult.

Who this guide is for

Group of young people

Young people between 14 and 25 years old, who have learning disabilities or are Autistic and have an Education Health and Care Plan.

Main points

Holding a list

Making sure that everyone understands what is happening.

Helping a person understand

Making sure that workers tell you what is happening. They also need to help you with what you have to do.

Person talking to someone listening

Your worker will help you with any decisions.

A meeting in progress

The people at the council will also help you make decisions.

Why you might need this information

Two teenagers posing

Transition is when you are between 14 and 25. It is when you start planning for life as an adult.

Young person at college

You might finish school and start college or a job.

Two young people moving

You might move somewhere else.

What happens and when it happens

Young person with helpers

You have a meeting with your worker to talk about your Education Health and Care Plan every year.

They will make sure you are getting the right support.

Two people having a conversation

In year 9, a worker will help you write an Approaching Adulthood Plan.

Women thinking about guidance

This is when you get to think about what you want to do when you leave school. 

You may have further schooling. You may choose to study and work at the same time.

Copy of a plan

If you have a disability and you do not live with your parents, you may already have a Pathway Plan.

The Pathway Plan makes sure you get support until you are 25.

Conversation with a social worker

If you need more help you can have an advocate.

An advocate is a person who helps you understand what is going on.

group of people

Everyone is treated the same.

From 14

Getting a worker

Your first Approaching Adulthood Plan is written.

It is looked at every year to make sure it is right.

You will have a worker.

From 14 to 16

Assessing needs

An assessment will be done if you have a disability but do not live with your parents.

The assessment will look at what you need.

From 16

Copy of a plan

The assessment of your needs is finished. If you are not living with your parents, the assessment will be in your Pathway Plan.

Your worker will share your information with Adult Social Care. You will still get all the help you need.

From 18

Social worker at desk

Your information is given to Adult Social Care.

For more information email the Approaching Adulthood Team:

Hard words