Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are only payable if you receive Housing Benefit, or the Housing Cost element of Universal Credit - if you are not in receipt of these, any application would be unsuccessful.

DHPs are for people who need extra help with their rent when housing benefit, local housing allowance, or Universal Credit housing costs don’t cover the full amount.

If you are suffering financial hardship or your tenancy is at risk, you may be able to get help from the DHP fund.

DHPs are not the same as housing benefit or Universal Credit. The government has set restrictions on how much money can be paid out in any financial year. Payments are usually made as a short-term measure for those experiencing difficult circumstances to assist them.

You must be in receipt of housing benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit to be considered for a DHP award.

Each council sets it’s own scheme for administering DHP.

Before applying, read our policy.

How to apply

To apply, fill in our online form.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Change of circumstances

If your circumstances change, let us know as this may affect the amount or duration of any DHP award.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry