Housing benefit information for students

Students can only claim housing benefit if they fall into one or more of the following categories:

  • aged under 19 and in further education but not higher education
  • aged 60 or over
  • disabled
  • looking after a child or young person
  • receiving Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (income based)

Students living in accommodation owned by their educational establishment are not eligible to claim housing benefit.

Most part-time students are eligible to claim housing benefit, but sometimes there is confusion over whether or not you are considered to be a part-time or full-time student. To be classed as a part-time student you must be studying for under 16 hours a week.

If you are a student and wish to apply for housing benefit, you will need to contact us and provide the following documents:

  • details of any covenant income
  • details of any parental contributions
  • details of the course that you are undertaking, including period of study
  • proof of your grant
  • proof of your student loan

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry