About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single benefit for people who are looking for work or are in work and on a low income. Universal credit replaces the following individual benefits:

  • Jobseekers Allowance (income-based JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit is managed by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and not Bracknell Forest Council.

If you have other adults living with you who are entitled to a benefit, they can make their own claim but a deduction will be made from your Universal Credit payment for each adult.

If you live with a partner, you will receive one monthly payment for both of you. This will include any help with the rent costs. You will need to make arrangements to pay the rent directly to your landlord in most cases.

If you are currently receiving Universal Credit

If your circumstances change while you are claiming Universal Credit or any benefit, you need to inform the DWP so they can make sure that you keep receiving the correct payment.

Report a change in circumstances

If you need to apply for Universal Credit

You can find more information and apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Apply for Universal Credit

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry