About the council tax support scheme

The council tax support scheme uses a person’s income to decide how much discount to apply to their council tax liability. Pension age customers will not be affected by these changes.

The amount of council tax support that a working age customer receives is based on the amount of income that they, and any partner, receive. This places the customer in an income band, and the band will determine the amount of discount that a person is entitled to.

The table below shows the income bands and the maximum amount that council tax will be reduced by (percentage entitlement). The percentage is the figure used to calculate the amount of discount.

Income bands and percentage discount entitlement
Income band Weekly income range Percentage
1 Vulnerable group or disability premium condition 80%
2 Replace with £0 to £80 or in receipt of a qualifying benefit 75%
3 £80.01 to £140 70%
4 £140.01 to £200 60%
5 £200.01 to £260 50%
6 £260.01 to £320 40%
7 £320.01 to £380 30%
8 £380.01 to £440 20%

Any non-dependent deduction is made after the income band percentage is applied.

If a customer, or any partner, are in receipt of an income that triggers an award of Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium they automatically be placed in band 1.

If the customer, or any partner, is in receipt of a qualifying benefit of Income Support, Income related Employment and Support Allowance or income based Job Seekers Allowance, they will be automatically be placed in band 2.

If the customer already meets the adult disability premium conditions for band 1 or is in receipt of maintenance for their child or children, their claim will continue to be treated as a standard claim.

Council tax support must be applied for and is not automatically granted. Please see making a council tax support claim.

Getting help

If you need help with budgeting or financial advice or advice on changes and how they affect your council tax please contact the welfare and housing service.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry