Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Visit our coronavirus pages for the latest updates and to get support for vulnerable residents.

Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are available to top up your housing benefit for a short period of time. They are also available to contribute to the cost of moving home for low income households, if moving to a more affordable home. To qualify you need to demonstrate that you are in severe financial hardship.

DHPs are not the same as housing benefit. They are funded from a special fund of money which is allocated to us each year. The DHP fund is limited and once the fund has been spent, no more DHPs can be awarded.

If you wish to make an application for a DHP, you can download the DHP application form and return it to the Benefits Service at Time Square.

Alternatively, you may request a form by phone or from our Time Square reception.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry