Housing benefit information for students
Students can only claim housing benefit if they fall into one or more of the following categories:
- aged under 19 and in further education but not higher education
- aged 60 or over
- looking after a child or young person
- receiving Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
Students living in accommodation owned by their educational establishment are not eligible to claim housing benefit.
Most part-time students are eligible to claim housing benefit, but sometimes there is confusion over whether or not you are considered to be a part-time or full-time student. To be classed as a part-time student you must be studying for under 16 hours a week.
If you are a student and wish to apply for housing benefit, you will need to contact us and provide the following documents:
- details of any covenant income
- details of any parental contributions
- details of the course that you are undertaking, including period of study
- proof of your grant
- proof of your student loan