As a general rule we will not collect anything that the average family would not ordinarily take if they moved house.
|We can normally collect||We do not collect|
|beds||DIY, construction and demolition waste|
|carpets (please cut and roll into manageable sizes and place in a secure bag)||fitted kitchens, bathroom suites, internal doors|
|furniture||garden sheds, fences and greenhouses|
|household electrical items - fridges and freezers must be empty||garden waste|
|mattresses (please leave out for 48 hours and cover or wrap if possible)||items that are over saturated or unsanitary|
|sofas and armchairs (please place any loose cushions in a secured bag)||any waste from a business premises|
The council has absolute discretion as to what it will and will not take as 'bulky waste'.
We charge for collection per item of furniture, rather than per set. For example, a bed base, a mattress and a headboard counts as 3 separate items.
There is a reduced charge of 50% available for anyone who gets an income related benefit, such as Income Support, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, Guaranteed Pension Credit and Employment Support Allowance (income related).
Number of items
Up to 3 items
4 to 7 items
How to book
To book and pay for a bulky item collection please use our online form.
On the collection day, you must leave the items on the edge of your property where they can be seen, but won't get in anyone's way. Collectors won't enter your property to get the items. If you live in a communal property, the items must be left outside and accessible.
Terms and conditions
Please note the following terms and conditions apply:
- Items must be left outside the property no later than 7am on the day of collection – no time slot can be allocated.
- No changes can be made to the collection arrangements after 3pm on the day before the collection.
- If you live in a communal property, the items must be left outside and accessible.
- Collections cancelled after 3pm on the working day before collection cannot be refunded.
- Only the items listed on the collection request will be taken.
- Wardrobes and large items of furniture must be dismantled.
- Large items of garden furniture must be dismantled – for example free standing hammocks, swing seats and children’s swings and slides.
- A carpet and the underlay from 1 room count as 2 items, please make sure carpets and underlay are cut up and rolled into manageable sizes that one person can lift. Carpet and underlay need to be rolled and tied, not folded.
- BBQs will only be collected if the gas canister has been removed.
- Lawnmowers will only be collected if the petrol has been removed.
- Fridges and freezers will only be collected if they are completely empty - if there is any food left in them they will not be collected.
- Curtain poles and blinds must be cut up if they are longer than 3 metres.
Recycle electrical items for free
With every bulky collection, you can have up to 3 small electrical items taken away for free.
We define small electrical items as those which would easily fit in a standard supermarket carrier bag.
If you have any electrical items you would like taken with your bulky collection, leave them out with your bulky items on collection day.
Other ways to get unwanted items collected
Another option for getting rid of unwanted items around the home is to donate them to charity.