Birth certificate changes

Correcting an error

If you find an error on a birth certificate, it should be possible to correct this.

It costs £75 or £90 to apply to correct a mistake in a birth registration.

You can apply to correct a mistake in a birth registration on GOV.UK.

Making a change

Within 12 months of registering

If you wish to make a change to the first name (or any forenames) of your child, you can do so within 12 months of registering the birth.

You can change the spelling of any forenames, add extra forenames or remove existing forenames. This can only be done once.

The original register will be annotated and a new birth certificate can be purchased.

Registrations over a year old

If the registration is more than a year old, you need to contact a solicitor and organise a Deed Poll Name Change.

There is a fee of £40.

How to make a change

You can either apply for a correction to:

  • the register office where your child’s birth was registered - for minor mistakes in a parent’s occupation, birthplace or address
  • the General Register Office - for mistakes involving things like names

For more information about how to apply and what evidence may be needed, please see GOV.UK's correct a birth registration page.