Education, health and care needs assessment

Your child may need an education, health and care needs assessment if the extra support they are receiving is not helping or they have severe or complex needs.

If the Bracknell Forest local authority agrees that your child needs to be assessed then the whole process takes 20 weeks from beginning to end.

We will write an education, health and care plan (previously called statements of special educational needs) for your child. This plan will set out what the school needs to do to help your child further.

If we decide not to write an education, health and care plan for your child we will tell you why and how their needs will be met inside or outside the school. We will also tell you how you can appeal if you disagree with this decision.

Your child’s school will be able to give you further information on the assessment process.

How to request an assessment

Parents, teachers, doctors, health visitors, family friends and 16 to 25-year-olds themselves can all ask for an assessment.

If you think your child needs an assessment you can request an assessment directly from us. Contact the SEN team to find out what information we will need to help us decide whether to assess your child.

Contact information

Customer Services

Make an enquiry