Licensing and Safety Committee profile
Role of committee
The role of this committee is to determine the council's licensing and safety policies. This includes those relating to:
- hackney carriages and private hire vehicles
- gaming and lotteries
Membership of committee
This committee is appointed by the Council. There are 15 elected members.
Why be on this committee?
As an elected member, you may want to join this committee if you:
- are available to attend hearings during the day
- are able to interpret and apply regulations fairly and consistently
- are able to understand situations and concepts quickly
- approach decision-making based on evidence
- can be open minded
- have a calm approach when speaking to a range of people
Key meeting details
Number of meetings
There are 4 meetings a year.
Day and time
The usual meeting day is Thursday at 7:30pm.
If you join this committee, training will be arranged as part of the induction programme to help you understand the roles and responsibilities of the committee.
You will be unable to participate in hearings until this has been completed.
Special payments for Chairman
There is a special payment of £5,626 for the Chairman. The Vice Chairman receives £562.