Personal information requests

Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (the UK GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (the Act) you have the right to know what information the council holds about you by making a request for your personal information. A request of this nature is referred to as a subject access request. This right however is sometimes subject to specific exemptions.

To find out more about your rights under the UK GDPR and the Act visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

Request your personal information

You can either make a request in writing or verbally.

We need proof of your identity before we can deal with your request and release any personal information.

Evidence required

For photographic evidence we need to see either:

  • a copy of your unexpired photographic driving licence
  • your current passport

For evidence of your current address we need to see either:

  • a copy of your utility bill
  • a copy of your council tax bill for the current year

Make an online request

Fill in our online subject access request form.

Apply for access to personal information

You can also write to:

Information Compliance Team
Legal Services
Bracknell Forest Council
Time Square
Market Street
RG12 1JD

Making a verbal request

You may prefer to make your request verbally.

To do this, phone 01344 352000. You will be asked to send identification by post or email before we can start to process your request.

How we handle your request

After we have received your request, we will acknowledge it. We may need to ask you for more information and relevant dates in order to deal with your request.

When we are satisfied that you have provided your proof of identity and we have all the necessary information in order to process your request we will respond within one month.

If your request for information is complex we may need to extend the one month timescale by a further 2 months. We will let you let know if this is the case within one month of receiving your request and explain why the extension is necessary.


Normally we do not charge a fee for dealing with your request. However, if your request is obviously unfounded or excessive, we can charge a fee.

We will let you know the cost before we start to deal with your request so that you can decide whether you want to proceed.

Make a request for information on behalf of someone else

In order to fulfil a request for information through an authorised agent, parent or guardian we need proof of relationship or authority. This might be the case if information is requested about a child or by a solicitor.


The council may refuse to comply with your subject access request if it is obviously unfounded or excessive.

Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The council will explain the reason for the refusal within one month of receipt of the request.

Contact information

Legal Team