Care homes

When choosing a home, it is important to make sure it will be right for you both now and in the future. You can get information to help make this decision from:

  • a social care practitioner
  • a health care practitioner
  • your family doctor

You can also get free independent reports on local residential homes from the Care Quality Commission to help you make your choice.

Types of care

Care homes can provide 2 main types of care.

Residential care homes

A residential care home provides accommodation, meals, and personal care for people who are unable to safely manage at home.

Any nursing needs can be provided by a visiting district nurse.

Nursing homes

A nursing home provides accommodation, personal care, meals and around the clock nursing care.

Paying for your care home

The scale of contributions you will be asked to pay is determined by your finances.

You can find more information about paying for your care on our paying for care page.

Assessing your needs

You can make your own arrangements to move into a residential or nursing care home but if you have care and support needs, you are entitled to a needs assessment. You can contact us to ask for an assessment of your needs to:

  • help you choose the right type of care home
  • find out whether you are eligible for funding

For more information, visit our assessing your support needs page.

More information

My Care My Home is an organisation offering advice, support and guidance for people who need support and who pay for this support themselves.

See the Berkshire care directory for information about care homes in the surrounding area. Some of the care homes may fall under different local authority areas.

Age UK also provide care home information.