War crime reporting and safeguarding concerns

Information for victims or witnesses of a crime in Ukraine

If you have recently arrived from Ukraine and have witnessed or been a victim of any war crimes or crimes against humanity, please report it to the Metropolitan Police War Crimes team. All information provided will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

An act is a war crime when it breaks international humanitarian law (treaty or customary law). War crimes attract individual criminal responsibility under international law.

As a result, and in contrast to the crimes of genocide and crimes against humanity, war crimes must always take place in the context of an armed conflict, either international or non-international.

This may include wilful killing, torture, the intentional targeting of civilians, hostage taking, mistreatment of prisoners of war and the extensive destruction of property not justified by military necessity.

Visit the Metropolitan Police website for more information on what is a war crime.

To report a war crime or get advice:

Other support organisations

  • Redress seek justice and reparation for survivors of torture, combat impunity for perpetrators, and develop and promote compliance with international standards
  • Amnesty International investigate and expose human rights abuses around the world, and campaign to end such abuses
  • Human Rights Watch investigates and reports on abuses happening in all corners of the world
  • Freedom from torture provides specialist psychological therapy to help asylum seekers and refugees who have survived torture, recover and rebuild their lives in the UK

Protecting adults and children from abuse

Are you worried for your own safety or the safety of someone you know?

If you or someone you know is a victim of violence or abuse from a family member or partner, call the Police on 101, or if it's an emergency call 999.

You have the right under Clare’s Law (Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme) to know if your current or ex-partner has any previous history of violence or abuse. Call the police on 101 to make a request.

Protecting children

If you think a child is at risk of harm or neglect:

See our protecting children page for more information and support.

Protecting adults

If you are concerned about someone, or yourself, contact:

See our protecting adults page for more information and support.

For a full list of contact details, please visit our help and support for domestic abuse page.