Information for tenants and landlords

Do you live in rented accommodation?

Is your home secure, well lit, warm, mould free, well maintained, dry, safe or accessible?

If your answer is no to any of the above questions - your council's Environmental Health Team may be able to help where your landlord or housing provider hasn't.

For West Berkshire, Bracknell and Wokingham contact 01635 503242 or email

The government wants to make sure everyone who rents can have a safe, secure, warm and dry place they call home.

GOV.UK provides guidance to help both landlords and tenants and sets out the roles and responsibilities when letting or renting a property in the private rented sector (PRS).


The Public Protection Partnership (PPP) is a shared service of Bracknell Forest Council, West Berkshire Council and Wokingham Borough Council. The PPP has a range of services and functions relating to the private rented housing sector aimed at supporting landlords and tenants, making properties and living conditions within our area meet minimum standards.

These include:

  • enforcing Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) management standards
  • licensing of HMOs
  • providing an advisory service within certain areas of the private rented sector
  • regulating housing safety using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
  • leading on campaigns and tackling rogue landlords

You can also find more information on their website about:

Housing standards

The PPP is responsible for enforcing all living standards in privately rented accommodation and provides information for tenants and landlords on:

  • electrical safety standards
  • smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
  • energy efficiency standards
  • disputes

Please visit Housing standards for more information.

Contact the PPP if you feel you are being exposed to any unreasonable hazards in your privately rented accommodation which you believe your private landlord is responsible for. If you are a landlord and are experiencing anti-social behaviour from your tenants please contact PPP to see if there is anything they can assist you with.

You can also find out more information about your rights and responsibilities at Shelter and Citizens Advice about: