Panels and commission
In Bracknell Forest, Overview and Scrutiny is carried out by a commission and 4 panels:
- Adult Social Care and Housing Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Children, Young People and Learning Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Environment, Culture and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Health Overview and Scrutiny Panel
Each of the panels and the commission is made up of elected non-executive members of the council. Some of the panels also include other representatives such as church, parent governor and teacher representatives.
The work of the commission and panels is steered by a work programme. Much of the detailed work is carried out by working groups. Some of these groups are formed to provide an input to policy development, and other groups carry out investigations and then produce a report on the specific issue. Council officers, expert witnesses, partners and service users take part in these reviews. Site visits may be carried out and independent research may be considered.
These councillors chair the Overview and Scrutiny meetings:
- Councillor Ian Leake – Overview and Scrutiny Commission (Chairman)
- Councillor Mrs Gill Birch – Children, Young People and Learning Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor Robert Angell – Environment, Culture and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor Jennie McCracken – Health Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor John Harrison – Adult Social Care and Housing Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission co-ordinates the work of the panels and reviews corporate issues concerning the whole council. This co-ordination role includes appointing panel members and agreeing a work programme. The commission regularly scrutinises the council’s performance. It also looks at the performance of the Chief Executive’s Office and the Resources department in more detail. The commission undertakes its own cross-cutting reviews when required. It is also the council’s statutory Crime and Disorder Committee.
The commission’s terms of reference and membership can be viewed online.