Skip to main content

We are in the early stages of building a new website and would like your feedback. Find out more about the upgrade.

How to make a planning application

To find out how to make a valid planning application, please read our planning application guide.

While more detailed information can be found in the householders guide, valid planning applications are required to consist of the following (please note this list is not exhaustive):

  • a completed full application for planning permission with associated application fee, and notice served on the mobile home park management (see below)
  • a location plan to a scale of 1:1250, with a continuous red line showing the entire property
  • a block plan (typically to a scale of 1:200 or 1:500) showing the siting and size of the proposed development in relation to the property as a whole
  • full elevations (side view drawings) and floor plans of the proposed development, either to a standard scale (usually 1:50 or 1:100), or fully annotated with metric measurements

As mobile homes are classified as caravans and not dwellinghouses, you need to submit a full application for planning permission, and not a householder application for planning permission.

In most circumstances the application fee will be £234 (this is subject to change). Applications that are submitted in relation to accessibility for a disability may not require a fee.

You need to serve formal notice on land owner (often this will be the mobile home park management company if there is one), with Certificate B of the application form completed.

If you require further advice on making a planning application, and to confirm the fee for your specific development, please contact our Technical Support team by:

Planning applications for development already in place

Where a development has already been placed on site, there are 2 options available for applying for planning permission retrospectively.

If the development has been in place for less than 4 years, it is recommended that an application for planning permission be submitted, as outlined above.

If the development has been in place for a period exceeding 4 years, and you have evidence to demonstrate this, we recommend that you apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

It is strongly recommended that one of the above applications be submitted for retrospective development. Failure to submit a planning application may result in the Local Planning Authority or the mobile home park management/land owner taking action to remove the unauthorised development.

Certificate of lawfulness

Where a development has been in place for at least 4 continuous years, the development may benefit from lawfulness due to the length of time it has been in place. This applies regardless of other planning considerations that would normally apply for a planning application (for example, impact on the character of the area, impact on neighbouring properties). An application can be made for a lawful development certificate to formally confirm this lawfulness.

Typical evidence that may be used to support such an application can include (but is not limited to):

  • statutory declarations from current and previous occupants
  • original building plans (with visible date included) of development works
  • invoices for building works (with visible dates)
  • historic photographs

Adequate evidence must be provided to support the application in order for a certificate to be granted.

The minimum level of evidence to be provided will vary depending on the context and circumstances of the development, however ultimately the more evidence that can be provided, the more likely it is that a certificate will be granted. The onus is on the applicant, and not the Local Planning Authority, to provide sufficient evidence.

You can read more information about how to make an application for certificate of lawfulness in our guide

Contact information

Customer services

Make an enquiry