Skip to main content
Warning triangle

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Visit our coronavirus pages for the latest updates.

Abandoned vehicles

Our duty

We have a duty to remove a vehicle that has been abandoned on any council owned land or on any road to which the public have access. We can also charge for its removal, storage and disposal.

The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 has removed the need to place a notice on the vehicle, so an abandoned vehicle can now be taken straight to scrap without notifying the owner.

Untaxed vehicles

Reporting and checking untaxed vehicles

Untaxed vehicles should be reported to the DVLA online using the DVLA's online form.

You can check whether a vehicle is taxed by visiting the GOV.UK - vehicle enquiry website and entering the registration and make of the vehicle.

Vehicles with valid SORN declarations

A vehicle only needs to be registered for a SORN declaration once (this is no longer renewed annually). Please note that vehicles with a SORN declaration still need to be kept on private property with permission, and not on council land or the highway (including roads).

Find out when you need to make a SORN.

Vehicles causing an obstruction

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction, please report it to Thames Valley Police online or by calling 101.

How can I dispose of a vehicle myself?

If you wish to dispose of a vehicle yourself, you must take it to an authorised treatment facility. Here it will have pollutants such as fuel and engine oil removed, before being sent for destruction. For a list of these facilities please visit GOV.UK - scrap cars and written-off vehicles.

If you arrange for your vehicle to be taken away by a scrap metal dealer, you have a duty of care to make sure that they have a valid licence and that you are given a receipt. Please go to the Environment Agency's website to search for details of licensed scrap metal dealers near you.

Contact information

Customer services

Make an enquiry