The government has announced that all new cars and vans wholly powered by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030.
The council supports this shift towards cleaner-emission vehicles as part of the wider aim to tackle the causes of climate change. So far, we have:
- added electric vehicles (EVs) to our own fleet
- installed several fast charging points in Bracknell town centre car parks
- applied to the government funding scheme for chargepoint installations in wider council-owned car parks
We are also engaging with the private sector to try to increase charging opportunities. We are encouraging and facilitating the provision of charging points at strategic locations. This includes businesses, retail parks, neighbourhood shopping centres, community hubs, libraries and leisure destinations.
We are keen to accommodate charge-points on our land where it can be done at little or no cost to the public.
There are some government grant schemes to help you buy and charge an electric vehicle:
- plug-in vehicle grant - helps with the purchase cost of an EV
- electric vehicle homecharge scheme - helps with the cost of charging an EV at home
- workplace charging scheme - helps employers provide charging facilities at the workplace
Find your nearest charge-point
For a full list of charge-point locations in the borough we recommend using Zap Map.
Charging points in new developments
Our planning and parking policies now require EV charging capability to feature in new residential and non-residential developments.
Future charge-point network
Given the rapid progress in charging technology it is likely that station forecourts, and service stations, will increasingly offer ultra-fast charging alongside petrol and diesel fuel. This could form a significant part of the longer-term EV charging solution.
Removing the reliance on home or kerbside charging is key to making EVs a practical alternative ahead of 2030.
For more information on charging and the council’s approach to providing charging opportunities for residents, please read our guide.