Body of Persons Approval guidance for applicants
Body of Persons Approval (BOPA) allows groups and organisations to have an overall licence for a performance. This means you don't need a licence for each individual child.
The BOPA is issued by the local authority where the performance is taking place. This is different to a performance licence which is issued by the local authority where the child lives.
The performance must comply with the Children & Young Persons Act 1963, and The Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014.
Applying for a BOPA
Any type of organisation can apply - a professional company, amateur group, theatre or broadcaster.
The following criteria must be met:
- the organisation must have a child protection policy (you will be asked to supply a copy when applying)
- the organisation must have a designated person responsible for child protection
- there must be no absence from school required in order for the child to perform or rehearse
- no payment should be made to the child except expenses
- you must provide a detailed risk assessment for the venue, including how your production will be COVID secure
The following conditions will need to be met:
- you must make sure there are sufficient licensed chaperones at the performances and regulated rehearsals
- you must obtain a parental health declaration for each child to confirm they are fit and well along with any information about medical conditions which may impact their ability to perform
- you must make sure a qualified first aider is present at the performances and regulated rehearsals
- you must notify the Child Employment Officer of any changes to the performance (dates, venue, participants, chaperones) as soon as practically possible
- provide access for the Child Employment Officer to make any appropriate inspection
You will be required to provide the following information:
- the number of children taking part and the ratio of children to chaperones
- details of chaperones including the local authority they are registered with
How to apply
Please fill in the application form and agreement below. It will need to be signed by an individual who sits on an elected committee of the applying organisation and or holds a senior role within the organisation.
The application form, agreement and a copy of the child protection policy will need to be returned to the Child Employment Officer.