Bracknell town centre transformation
Bracknell town centre is being transformed into an exciting, vibrant destination for the people of Bracknell Forest and the wider Thames Valley area. It is being developed in phases:
This completed in 2011 when a new £6 million Waitrose store opened on Bond Way.
This completed on 7 September 2017, when the £240 million The Lexicon opened. The development included:
- 70 new retail and food and beverage outlets, including two 80,000 sq ft stores housing Fenwick and Marks and Spencer, and a 12 screen cinema
- 3,800 car spaces were provided in new or upgraded car parks
- 8 core buildings and 6 place making squares for events and activities
- £6.5 million extra investment in the highway infrastructure from Bracknell Forest Council
As part of the next phase, the council is reviewing plans for the civic quarter, Market Square and the southern gateway. Plus, work is continuing to develop Princess Square and the area around the old Bentalls store, called The Deck.
There are also other projects planned in the town centre area. Significant numbers of new homes are being built, including at Winchester House. More have planning permission such as at the former bus depot (Coldborough House).
The long term plan for the town centre has been described in the Bracknell Town Centre 2032 vision. If you wish to make any comments or queries please email BracknellTownCentreVision.email@example.com.
The Lexicon has created a new social and cultural heart for the area - bringing a high-quality mix of shops, restaurants and entertainment within vibrant public spaces to the town centre.
There are a number of stores at The Lexicon including a three-storey Fenwick department store, M&S and Primark.
A 12 screen 4DX Cineworld can be found off Eagle Lane, which is also home to a number of family-friendly restaurants including Carluccio’s, Nando’s, Zizzi and Prezzo. Meanwhile Bill’s can be found off Braccan Walk and The Bull pub is on the High Street.
For more information, including new retailers, town centre events and promotions, visit The Lexicon, Bracknell website.
Town centre awards
The regeneration in the town centre has been recognised in a number of awards:
- Revo Gold Awards 2017: Gold in the Re:new category and ‘Best of the Best’ in the Re:turn category
- short listed for Planning Awards 2017: Regeneration category
- Thames Valley Property Awards 2018: Development of the Year