Skip to main content

Children's social care complaints

We aim to resolve complaints at the earliest opportunity. Our complaints procedure has 2 stages.

Stage 1: resolution stage

Firstly, it is important for you to try and tell the people working with you or your family if you are unhappy with what is happening. This could include talking to the Social Worker or a member of staff. We can try to explain, put things right, apologise if appropriate and learn from what you tell us. We will try to do this within 10 working days.

You should make your complaint as soon as possible as there may be a 12 month time limit on making a complaint.

Stage 2: formal complaint investigation

Do I qualify?

You qualify for a formal complaint investigation if you are making a complaint about a service which directly relates to a child or young person.

If your complaint is about the impact the service has had on you personally, then you may not qualify for a formal complaint investigation under the statutory procedures.

What happens next?

For a formal investigation, an Investigator is appointed. Generally this Investigator is not a member of staff from Children’s Social Care. It is the responsibility of the Investigator to make sure that your complaint is fully and fairly explored.

The Investigator will want to meet with everyone involved, including you and the child or young person. They will also read any Children’s Social Care records about the events described in the complaint.

When the investigation is finished

When the investigation is completed, the Investigator writes a report which is sent to the Chief Officer, Children’s Social Care.

The Chief Officer will then write to you, letting you know if your complaint has been upheld and what action Children’s Social Care will take.


All of this should happen within 25 working days of your formal complaint being received. If it is felt that the investigation will take longer than 25 working days, it will be discussed with you and a new time limit set with your agreement. This should not be longer than 65 working days.

Complaint leaflets

You can find out more information by reading these leaflets:

Make a complaint

To submit your complaint, please contact us by: