Change of circumstances for council tax

You need to tell us if your circumstances change as this might affect the amount of council tax you have to pay. For example, if you move house you need to let us know.

You can do this on Citizens Access Revenues.

Tell us about a change of circumstance

What you need to tell us

You need to let us know about the following changes.

Changes to your bank details

If you are paying by direct debit and your bank details change, you need to let us know.

Moving house

You need to let us know if you are:

  • moving into the area
  • moving out of the area
  • moving within the area

Letting us know you are moving allows us to update our records and send you a new bill.

When someone has died

When someone has died, you need to let us know.

If you are using the tell us once process, Revenue Services will be told without you having to contact us.

If you have not used the tell us once process, you should let us know by emailing

Changes to discounts or exemptions

It is important that you let us know if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption from council tax. We are committed to making sure that discounts only apply to people who are entitled to them.

Let us know of any changes to discounts or exemptions by emailing

Changes to your family or household

You should tell us when someone moves into or out of your home.

This could be because of divorce, separation, marriage or someone over 18 moving out permanently.

You do not need to tell us about students returning home for the holidays.

Changes to a tenancy

If you are a landlord or letting agent and need to tell us about a change in tenancy.

Contact information

Revenue services