Breaks for carers

Short replacement care

If you are a carer you may experience problems with stress or ill health. You and the person you care for may benefit from short replacement care.

You may be entitled to respite care services if you care for:

  • an older person
  • someone who has a learning disability or autism
  • someone with a mental health problem
  • someone with a physical disability

Short periods of replacement care can be provided to enable the carer to have a break from their caring role.  Replacement care could include:

  • care at home
  • visits to a day centre 
  • a residential placement

Replacement care is there to support carers to do the things they want or need to do. 

Carer time out

Carer time out refers to all activities or practical support that is for you as a carer. This could include attending a craft group, swimming or even just having time for a coffee with friends.


If you are eligible for any of these services you may need to contribute something towards the cost. We will carry out a financial assessment and benefits check for you to determine any contribution you are required to make.

You are entitled to a carer's assessment to establish if you are eligible for monetary support from the council or whether you will be signposted to community and voluntary services.

Our carer's assessment page has information on what is involved in a carer's assessment and how to apply.

Contact information

Adult Social Care