The council is responsible for keeping highways and roads clean and free from spillages. Where spillages are of a hazardous nature, the local police and fire service may also be involved and road closures may be required. Spillages on the highway can lead to road traffic accidents or, at the very least, expense to the council.

Spillages could include oil, gravel or sand on the road or items that have fallen from a lorry or truck.

If you have been involved in an accidental spillage or see an incident of spillage on the highway, please report it. If you have any details of the offender please let us know - it may help us to recover the costs.

Report a spillage

Private roads and land

We are not responsible for sweeping or clearing spillages on private roads or private land. It is the duty of the landowner to make sure that the area is cleared.