Make a claim

You can make a housing benefit claim using Citizen Access Benefits, our online benefits website.

Make a housing benefit claim

Claiming a benefit online provides a receipt when the claim has been completed and allows you to upload your evidence. See supporting documents for the type of evidence required.

Universal Credit claimants

If you are claiming Universal Credit you cannot claim housing benefit unless you are living in:

  • supported accommodation
  • temporary accommodation provided or arranged through the council

Supported accommodation is a variety of schemes designed to provide both housing and support to help vulnerable people live as independently as possible in their community. For example, shelter housing for elderly people or specialised accommodation for adults with learning disabilities.

Any help you may receive with your rent will be included in your Universal Credit award.

However you can continue to claim council tax support. You can apply for council tax support using Citizen Access Benefits.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry