Supporting documents

When you make an online claim for benefits you will be asked questions about your circumstances and you will be asked to provide evidence based on your circumstances.

You can upload the evidence to support your new claim. An 'Upload evidence' button will appear before you submit your claim on Citizen Access Benefits. The fastest way to make a decision on your claim is to provide this evidence when you claim. If you do not have all the information available you can still upload after you have submitted your claim.

We will accept photos of your documents using a smartphone or tablet. Make sure all the details can be clearly seen and the full document is visible on the photo. If they are not, your claim will be delayed whilst we ask for further proofs to be provided.

You can also add documents using files saved on your computer or laptop, for example by scanning your documents.

The larger the file the longer the upload will take.

We can accept images in the following formats: pdf, gif, jpg, jpeg, tiff, png.

Evidence to support your claim

This is the evidence needed to support your claim.

Evidence of identity

Such as:

  • UK passport
  • full UK photocard Driving Licence
  • UK residence permit

Evidence of National Insurance number

Such as:

  • National Insurance card
  • P45
  • P60
  • payslip
  • tax letter
  • Department for Work and Pensions notification letter

Evidence you are living at the address you are claiming for

Such as recently paid utility bill or TV Licence.

Evidence of earnings

Such as:

  • your last 5 consecutive weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly payslips
  • if you or your partner are self-employed we need to see your accounts for the last financial year
  • if you have been trading for less than 6 months a summary of your trading record so far

If you do not have audited accounts you can complete our Self employed form on this page as evidence.

Evidence of other income including benefits, allowances and pensions

Such as:

  • current award notices or letters from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • tax office confirming how much you get
  • pension slips from a former employer
  • letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting

We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

Evidence of Universal Credit (UC)

Provide your award statement from the DWP which confirms the date you have been awarded UC and the breakdown of your award.

The easiest way to do this is to log in to your UC account and use the print menu to save your award statement as a pdf that you can upload for us.

Evidence of children and childcare costs

Such as the Child benefit award letter or DWP/HMRC letter showing the name of the child.

If you pay for childcare we need to see a recent letter from the childcare provider giving their:

  • name and address
  • names of the children receiving care
  • the amount charged
  • the registration number

Evidence of rent

Such as:

  • tenancy agreement
  • a letter from your landlord
  • a rent book or rent receipts

Evidence of capital, savings and investment

Such as, your:

  • bank, building society or post office books
  • full bank statements
  • certificates for premium bonds
  • national savings certificates
  • stocks, shares and unit trusts

If you are a pensioner, you do not need to provide any evidence if the total of your capital is less than £10,000.

If you are not a pensioner, you do not need to provide any evidence if the total of your capital is less than £6,000.

Evidence of non-dependant income

Such as:

  • last 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly payslips
  • benefit award letter
  • self-employed income
  • pension letters
Attachment Size
107 KB

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry