Give notice

Once you have chosen the venue for your wedding or civil partnership, you must give notice of intent.

Giving notice is a legal requirement to make sure that you are lawfully free to marry or form a civil partnership and to complete the preliminary legal documentation.

You must give at least 28 full days' notice and hold your ceremony within 12 months of doing so.


You can get married or enter into a civil partnership if you are:

  • 18 or over 
  • not already married or in a civil partnership
  • not closely related

Marriage and civil partnership can be with 2 people of the same or opposite sex.

Where to give notice

You need to make an appointment to give notice at your local register office if you have:

  • British or Irish citizenship
  • settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • an application to the EU Settlement Scheme that you made before 30 June 2021, which you’re waiting for a decision on

You must have lived in that registration district for the past 7 days.

You and your partner will need to give notice separately if you live in different registration districts. You do not have to do this on the same day.

If one of you is from outside the UK

You must give your notice together at a register office in the district where at least one of you lives.

If either or both of the couple are subject to immigration control, the waiting period could be extended to 70 days by the Home Office under certain circumstances. Consider this  when making arrangements for your ceremony as cancellation and amendment fees may apply if you need to move your ceremony.

Church of England marriages

You do not usually need to give notice with the register office if you're getting married in a Church of England church. For more information about the arrangements that need to be made contact your local church.

Documents you'll need

See GOV.UK for the list of documents you'll need to give notice


There is a statutory fee of £35 per person or £47 per person if you are subject to the Home Office Referral and Investigation Scheme. This is payable at the time of booking your appointment.

Additional fees

If you have a foreign divorce involved, additional fees apply.

Cancellation and amendment fees

See our terms and conditions of booking appointments for cancellation and amendment fees.

Book an appointment

Call Customer Services on 01344 352000 between 8:30am and 4:45pm to book an appointment.

A limited number of priority appointments are available out of hours on weekdays for an additional fee.

Legal notice waiting period

On completion of the notice, the details are displayed for a statutory period. The ceremony cannot take place until after this time. This is the legal length of time for an objection to be made.

Objections can only be made if there is a legal reason that the ceremony cannot take place, and evidence must be produced.

Special circumstances

There are procedures in place to reduce the 28 day waiting period for someone who is seriously ill and not expected to recover.

Contact the register office for more information if required.

Contact information

Bracknell Forest Register Office

Make an enquiry