The electoral register (or electoral roll) lists the names and addresses of everyone who’s registered to vote.
To register to vote you will need to go to the national voter registration website on GOV.UK and enter your name, address, previous address (if applicable), National Insurance number and date of birth.
Once registered, your details will be stored on the full register. It's up to you whether your details are also kept on the open register which can be accessed by businesses. If you do not want your details on the open register, you need to opt out.
If you are already on the electoral register but want to tell us that you have moved, you should also use the register to vote form. Include both your new address and, where requested, your previous address.
We will action your request to move on the next working day. Once your new registration has taken effect you will be removed from the register at your old address.
The full electoral register
Everyone’s name and address goes on the full version of the electoral register. The full version of the register is only used for:
- calling people for jury service
- preventing and detecting crime
- checking applications for loans or credit
The open register
The open register is available for general sale. It can be used for any purpose, including commercial activities such as marketing.
The open (or edited) register only contains the names and addresses of those people who have registered to vote, but have not opted out from having their details on the open register.
If you want to opt out from having your details on the open register, please indicate this on your registration form. Your choice will continue until you change your preference.
Find out more about the difference between the ‘open register’ and the full electoral register.
Removing your details from the open register: opting out
Once registered, your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.
Removing your details from the register does not affect your right to vote. Including your details in the open register, will not affect your visibility with the credit reference agencies. Find out more about credit reference agencies and the electoral register.
If you want to remove your details from the open register or have your details added back in, please fill in the open register preference form. Please note, you must already be on the electoral register to be able to opt in or out.
Access the register
You are able to view the full register (under supervision) for Bracknell Forest at Time Square. Please contact Electoral Services to make an appointment.
Please note that:
- by law, we can only provide the current year's register for inspection - once a new register is published, the previous versions are no longer available for public inspection
- it is not possible to take a copy or a photograph of the full register, but you're welcome to make notes by hand
- names on the electoral register are listed by polling district and by street name and are not in alphabetical order
- it is not possible to search the register electronically
The full register is also available for inspection at:
Berkshire Records Office
9 Coley Avenue
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Fees and charges
The following fees are set by the council:
- street index - £23
- proof of life or pension certification - £13
The following items are statutory national charges determined through legislation:
- open register of electors (data format) - £20 + £1.50 for every 1,000 entries - or part thereof
- open register of electors (paper format) - £10 + £5 for every 1,000 entries - or part thereof
- open register of overseas electors (data format) - £20 + £1.50 for every 1,000 entries - or part thereof
- open register of overseas electors (paper format) - £10 + £5 for every 1,000 entries - or part thereof